Watch The Video →
The fastest way to overcome procrastination is to follow these simple steps:
- Recognize that you have a problem with procrastination. The quicker we realize that we procrastinate accomplishing tasks, the faster we can take action to minimize the effect on our lives.
- Identify your “MUSTS” each day. Your MUSTS are things that you simply must accomplish no matter what! The concept of writing huge to do lists is simply not effective in today’s world. Think about it for a moment, when was the last time you accomplished everything you wrote down on a huge to do list? Even if you came close, how many items are added to your list on a daily basis. This results in a list that is never truly complete. We live for a sense of accomplishement and completion in our lives. Naturally everyone loves to win, and if we create something in our lives that doesn’t feel like winning, how does it make us feel? This is why you must narrow things down to simply your MUSTS. The ideal number to focus on each day is 3. This does not mean that you are not doing anything else, but these are your top priorities that must be accomplished each day. By directing your energy towards them, you will have a sense of accomplishment each and every day!
- Schedule time to accomplish your MUSTS. Just as you would schedule a doctors appointment, you must schedule time to accomplish your MUSTS in business and in life. When you schedule time, it should be dedicated towards accomplishing what you have on your MUST list. The greater the focus, the more effective your time will be spent accomplishing these tasks.
- Use an accountability partner! Finding an accountability partner will greatly enhance your ability to get through your MUSTS each week. When you tell someone that you will accomplish something, now there is the concept of making a promise to another individual that you will do something. This simple act can enhance your ability to get things done as now you have someone who will hold your feet to the fire if you do not do as you stated you would.
- Celebrate your success! This simple act is often neglected on a daily basis. When you look at your life, were there times that you celebrated accomplishing something of significance? It’s the sensation of winning that we feel when we accomplish something. Yet when you look at how you celebrate your victories in accomplishing tasks each day, it is non-existant with most people. Look for ways that you can celebrate accomplishing your MUSTS each day. The more you do this, the more you will want to accomplish your tasks each and every day!
Above all, when it comes to procrastination, you must take action if you want to overcome it. Talking about overcoming procrastination, and actually doing something about it are two very different things. Remember the more action you take that is focused the better the results. After all, the only person who can eliminate procrastination in your life looks at you in the mirror each and every day!